Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Becoming Jane

I had completely forgotten about the new Jane Austen "biopic" (quotations because one of the plot keywords on the Becoming Jane IMDb page is "Fictional Biography") being released this year until I read this post on Old Grey Pony. I first heard about this movie last year, when I read an interview with Anne Hathaway in which she talked about reading and studying up for the role. Here's the trailer:



It looks interesting. I'm thinking they took a Shakespeare in Love-type approach to the story - just as Viola provided the inspiration for Juliet, Tom Lefroy is the inspiration for Mr. Darcy. Apparently.

I've read all of Austen's novels, and I'm about halfway done with Lady Susan, The Watsons, and Sandition, but I'm sadly ignorant of her life. I do know that she never married, although she was once engaged for a day or so before calling it off. So I'll be taking the biographical info from the movie with a grain of salt. I will definitely see it, though, for James McAvoy if nothing else.

No comments: