Thursday, September 25, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Well, That Was Different!

Today's question(s):
What was the most unusual (for you) book you ever read? Either because the book itself was completely from out in left field somewhere, or was a genre you never read, or was the only book available on a long flight… whatever? What (not counting school textbooks, though literature read for classes counts) was furthest outside your usual comfort zone/familiar territory?

And, did you like it? Did it stretch your boundaries? Did you shut it with a shudder the instant you were done? Did it make you think? Have nightmares? Kick off a new obsession?

For me, that book was definitely Op Center: State of Seize, by Tom Clancy. I am not a fan of formulaic action-adventure books, but this one was a Book Crossing book that I found in the wild and picked up on a whim. I ended up being between books one day and grabbed it to have something to read on my lunch break at work. I got through it pretty quickly (it was fast-paced and an easy read), but I don't think I'll be reading any more. I just didn't really care about the characters - Clancy seemed to take it for granted that I had read his previous books and would be familiar with the huge cast, which was not the case. The story also shifted around several times; there were multiple p.o.v.s and settings, which I found confusing. So, I did make it through that one, but it did not turn me into a Clancy-convert.

But you don't have to take my word for it. Visit Booking Through Thursday for more opinions.

1 comment:

SmilingSally said...

I've read a couple of Clancy novels, although he's no longer one I choose to read. I posted about a good read. Come visit.