Monday, November 24, 2008

Weekly Geeks #26

This week's WG challenge: bloghopping!
1. Using the WeeklyGeeks category here in my blog, find 5 Weekly Geeks you don’t know. The easiest way is probably to look at the Mr Linkies in my weekly Saturday posts.

2. Visit each of your 5 new blogpals and snoop around their blogs to find at least one thing you have in common.

3. In your blog, write a post, linking to your 5 new blogpals, about what you have in common with them.

4. Come back and sign Mr Linky.

5. As you run across other Weekly Geek posts (or deliberately seek them out) if you see anyone mentioned who has something in common with you, pay them a visit.
I decided the easiest way to find out if I had something in common with other Weekly Geeks was to check out the responses to WG #24. I found several people who liked the same authors I do, and linked to them on my own WG #24 post. Here are other commonalities I discovered:

1. First up, Ali from Worducopia. In addition to having an awesome blog name, Ali is also a fan of Christopher Moore. She's read several books (including The Gargoyle, Madapple, and Eat, Pray, Love) that are on my TBR list, she has a Guster song in her sidebar playlist, she loves Harold and Maude, and she's visited Paris and Italy - two places I very much hope to see myself one day.

2. Next, Sam from Wrongdecade. I'm going to go into detail explaining this similarity, I can tell. See, I used to work at a clothing store that played music from the 50s and 60s, and because I heard it so often (and knew so much of the music already, because my mom listened to the oldies station exclusively while my sister and I were growing up) I knew the words to pretty much every song and would sing along with them. Loudly, if there were no customers in the store; quietly, if there were. There was one song called "Born Too Late" by the Poni-Tails (hear it here) that used to come on at least once a day, and of course, I would sing along. My co-worker, Stella, used to joke that the song had been written about me, because I clearly belonged in an earlier decade. For what it's worth, I would've made an awesome flapper. Anywho, Sam also feels that she was born too late. Plus, she's a vegan, and I'm a vegetarian.

3. Sarah from Behold, the thing that reads a lot and I both disliked The Nanny Diaries.

4. Florinda from The 3 R's and I are both fans of Michael Chabon. And I love the links in this post. She's also responsible for introducing me to this quiz:



Jessi's Dewey Decimal Section:

083 Collections in other Germanic languages

Jessi's birthday: 11/03/1980 = 1103+1980 = 3083


Class:
000 Computer Science, Information & General Works


Contains:
Encyclopedias, magazines, journals and books with quotations.



What it says about you:
You are very informative and up to date. You're working on living in the here and now, not the past. You go through a lot of changes. When you make a decision you can be very sure of yourself, maybe even stubborn, but your friends appreciate your honesty and resolve.

Find your Dewey Decimal Section at Spacefem.com



5. Last but not least, Jessica at The Bluestocking Society. We have the same name, enjoy the same books (The Handmaid's Tale, Coraline, Midnight Sun, The Graveyard Book, and An Abundance of Katherines - those last two are currently in my TBR pile, although I started The Graveyard Book during last month's Read-a-Thon), and I love the idea of reclaiming a formerly-disparaging term and embracing it as a way to describe intellectual, literary women.

1 comment:

Suey said...

Funny, I just linked to Sarah and said the exact same thing about The Nanny Diaries! Hmmm...