Saturday, December 06, 2008

Weekly Geeks #27: Dewey


Becky had a great idea for Weekly Geeks #27:
I was thinking that it might be nice for those bloggers who are Weekly Geeks to pay tribute to Dewey in the next week or so. To take the time to post to their blogs a "Weekly Geek" post about Dewey--maybe share their favorite posts from her site, maybe share a memory or two about participating in weekly geeks, the bookworms carnival, the 24 Hour Readathon, or one of Dewey's challenges, maybe just share a favorite memory of Dewey in general, what they'll miss most, how they'll remember her, etc. I'm going to post mine today--but bloggers anywhere and everywhere are encouraged to post whenever they want. Please come back to this post to leave your link. I'll be rounding up responses.
My favorite thing about Dewey was the the way she brought us all together and made us a community. I first became "acquainted" with her through the Read-a-Thon. So far, I've participated in two - first as a cheerleader, and then as a reader (and cheerleader). Her enthusiasm and encouragement were inspiring. The 'Thon was pretty much my introduction to the world of book blogging, and I cannot express how appreciative I am to Dewey for that. Through her, I've met some amazing people and been exposed to new ideas, experiences, and, of course, books.

I came late to Weekly Geeks - my first contribution was for #9, which worked out well since I had also recently signed up for a few challenges. But my absolute favorite theme was #26. I had always shied away from blog-hopping in the past, but I decided to give this one a try. I'm so glad I did, because I met more interesting people through that activity than anything else I've done as a book blogger (with the possible exception of the most recent Read-a-Thon). Dewey's ability to help create and foster that sense of family was a blessing for everyone, and I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to take part in that experience.

A few weeks ago, she sent me an e-mail to tell me who I was playing Secret Santa to, and referred to me as her "Primrose twin" (because our street names, despite being on opposite sides of the country, are similar). Now, every time I drive home I think of her. It seems strange that someone I never met in real life could have such an impact on my life. To be honest, I'm still a little in shock that she's no longer with us. When I read her husband's post about Dewey's death, I was stunned. I had no idea she was sick, but I'm glad that she is no longer in pain. I was always a little in awe of Dewey - she was just such a presence, and always seemed so tireless. My heart goes out to her friends and family; I can only imagine what they are dealing with. I'm glad that Dewey's projects are being continued - I'm sure she would have wanted that. Andi did a great job of expressing the importance of our little community, and I don't think I could say it better. Dewey was an amazing person, and we're all going to miss her.

4 comments:

Dreamybee said...

Lovely post, Jessi.

Maree said...

Beautiful. And I like to think Dewey would be proud of us all. :)

Anonymous said...

This is a very very very touching post
as Mare said, Dewey would be really proud.

Ana S. said...

Lovely tribute. She really was an amazing person.