Monday, January 26, 2009

Mini-Review: Sick Puppy

I read Sick Puppy, by Carl Hiaasen, last year but never got around to reviewing it. I picked this copy up through BookCrossing; it was a wild release I found in a used book store. The plot is classic Hiaasen: Twilly Spree is a well-off environmentalist who decides to teach a litterbug a lesson. He ends up kidnapping the litterbug's dog and blackmailing him to keep an island off the coast of Florida from being developed. There are tons of other crazy characters, of course, and a lot of political intrigue and wacky high jinks. I found this book immensely entertaining; it was my first adult Hiaasen novel, and it definitely won't be my last. I loved the character of Twilly because he's such a contradiction: a rich hippie with a heart of gold...and anger management issues. Highly recommended reading for anyone who's ever had an urge to give a litterbug a piece of their mind.

4 comments:

Staci said...

I read this one a few years ago and then a few after that. They're a fun and fast read. I also loved Hoot!!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Sounds great, I've had a lot of people recommend Hiaasen since I enjoy Christopher Moore.

Andi said...

I haven't read any of Hiaasen's stuff, but I have Skinny Dip on my stacks.

jessi said...

Staci - His newest YA book, Scat, came out last week. I can't wait to read it!

Joanne - I would definitely recommend Hiaasen for fans of Moore. They have similar quirky senses of humor.

Andi - I haven't read Skinny Dip, so I'm looking forward to your review.