Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Recipe Tuesday: Deceptively Delicious Tuna Salad

Today's recipe comes from Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food, by Jessica Seinfeld. I got a copy a few months ago in a white elephant-style gift swap. The recipes are a little unusual: to prep, you need to puree vegetables, divide them into labeled plastic baggies, and freeze or refrigerate until you need to use them. It's a little time-consuming, but it's nice to know that you're adding that extra bit of vegetables into the recipes. On the plus side, you can't even tell they're in there, which should be nice for you mommies who have picky eaters.

This tuna salad recipe is one of my favorites so far. You could also make it without the puree, if you don't want to bother with it.

Deceptively Delicious Tuna Salad

Ingredients:
2 (6 oz.) cans light tuna packed in water
1/2 cup cauliflower puree
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayo
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt (I used less in my 2nd go round; I found it too salty the first time)
1/8 tsp. pepper

Drain the tuna, then mix it with the other ingredients. Voila! Easy, if you puree the cauliflower ahead of time. I served it in a pita pocket with spinach leaves:

4 comments:

Beth F said...

Sounds easy! I'm lucky that I don't have to cook for picky eaters.

Andi said...

Wow! Way to hide the veggies. I'm intrigued.

Anonymous said...

I thought I had commented here - oh well. I still can, right?

I was going to say that I throw so much celery in my tuna salad that my husband calls it "celery salad with tuna."

I had a fave restaurant in Omaha that had mandarin oranges in their tuna salad sandwich - so good, but I can't replicate it.

jessi said...

Beth - You're very lucky! My nephew is pretty finicky; I don't know how my sister maintains her sanity at dinner time.

Andi - I'm still debating whether or not I want to try out the "desserts-with-hidden-veggies" recipes. We'll see...

Care - Tuna with mandarin oranges sounds interesting, and really good, actually! I might have to give that a try.