Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Support Your Local Library Reading Challenge 2012 Intro Post



Rules:

Anyone can join.
You don't need a blog to participate.
Audio, ebooks (some libraries allow ebooks to be checked out), bound books are ok.
No re-reads.
Create a sign up post and post the link at this post.
Challenge goes from January 1, 2012 - December 31, 2012

Levels:

Level 1 - Read 12 library books
Level 2 - Read 24 library books
Level 3 - Read 36 library books
Level 4 - Read 37+ library books

Seeing as I'm signing up for a few reading challenges, this one seemed a no-brainer.

Embarrassing story time!

A few weeks ago, I realized I hadn't yet read the book my YA book club was going to be discussing over the weekend. So I got on the local library's website and tried to put the book on hold (it was only getting mediocre reviews from the other members, and I didn't want to buy it if I wasn't going to love it and want to reread it), but the website wouldn't let me. I ended up calling and talking to a very nice man who, through stifled laughter, informed me that my library card had been expired for two years (!) and that he couldn't renew it over the phone because I had over $14 in fines (!!) from three years ago. The books that I checked out that incurred these fines? Three Jane Austen novels (all of which I already own, so I have no idea why I checked them out in the first place, let alone kept them for two months) and two audiobooks. My bff works at a library and regales me with patron horror stories all the time, so I know this is on the low end of bad library behavior. But for an English teacher in a small town, it's still pretty sorry.

No comments: