Thursday, January 02, 2014

Review: The Dream Thieves

Title: The Dream Thieves
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: YA, fantasy, paranormal, romance
Published: 17 September 2013
Pages: 439
Rating: 7 / 10
Challenges: N/A

Synopsis: "Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same.

Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life.

Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after..." (from GoodReads)

My Review: Disclaimer: I received an electronic ARC of this book from NetGalley. I was thrilled and surprised when my request was accepted, because this was probably my most-anticipated book of 2013. My YA book club read the first in the series, The Raven Boys, earlier in the year. It was one of the few books that everyone in the group absolutely loved, and we couldn't wait for the sequel. For some reason, I couldn't get into this one. It was one of those books that you can't stop reading once you start, but the minute you put it down you forget about it. It took me SEVEN MONTHS to finish. And it's not bad! It's just a little...drawn out. It probably didn't help that I was reading it on my tiny phone screen. I read the last half of the book on my new Kindle just this past week.

The story itself is pretty interesting, but not a lot happens until the very end. I LOVED that the book focused on Ronan; I enjoyed reading about his life and the discovery of his (familial?) power. I wasn't a fan of Adam, who seemed to have gone a little crazy, but he managed to win me over in the end. Gansey and Blue and their growing relationship took a back seat to the lay line and the Greywaren, but I was okay with that. Noah was adorable and awesome as always. I didn't so much enjoy having minor characters (the Gray Man, Kavinsky) become the focus of some much of the story, but I do want to find out who the Gray Man's benefactor is. I also didn't like the cliffhanger of an ending, but it definitely makes me excited about the next book! I just hope it won't take me half a year to get through it.

Other Reviews:

If you have reviewed this book as well, leave me a message in the comments and I'll link to your review.

No comments: