Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Review: Mafia Girl

Title: Mafia Girl
Author: Deborah Blumenthal
Genre: YA, romance
Published: 1 March 2014
Pages: 270
Rating: 2 / 10
Challenges: NetGalley Reading Challenge

Synopsis: "'What's in a name? Everything if you have my name.' At her exclusive Manhattan high school, seventeen-year-old Gia is the most hated/loved girl in school. Why? Her father doesn't have a boss. He is the boss--the capo di tutti cappi, boss of all bosses. Not that Gia cares. But life gets complicated when she meets a cop she calls "Officer Hottie" and feels a suprising chemistry. Then Vogue magazine wants to feature Gia in a fashion spread about real-life bad girls. On top of this, she's running for class president. Can Gia step out from under her dad's shadow and show everyone there's more to her than 'Mafia Girl?'" (from GoodReads)

My Review: Full disclosure: I was not able to finish this book. I got about halfway through and just had to put it down. I got frustrated with Gia and her shenanigans. She was neither believable nor likable. I was really excited to read this - I expected a Godfather/Gossip Girl hybrid, not a whiny spoiled brat. The straw that broke the camel's back, however, was the incredibly inappropriate relationship that develops with (and is reciprocated by!) "Officer Hottie." So illegal. I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but when he started texting her back and calling her "Baby," I rolled my eyes and put my Kindle down in disgust. I much preferred the election subplot to the "romance," but I couldn't handle slogging through one for the other.

Other Reviews:

If you have reviewed this book as well, leave me a message in the comments and I'll link to your review.

No comments: